Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Inseperable...

Life is often referred to as a roller coaster. I think I finally understand why people use this metaphor. For some, it is the only way to explain the happenings that go on in ones life. And for others, they see that life has its ups and downs. Its loops and twists and twirls. Personally, I enjoy riding roller coasters. They give you a thrill. That little... well usually big, pump of adrenalin that makes you scream with excitement and throw your hands up in the air as you plummet to the bottom of a huge drop.
Lately, I have see this "roller coaster" metaphor in real life. There has been plenty of laughter... and also plenty of tears... but the tears have not all been out of sadness. Quite to the contrary in fact. Most of them have been tears of joy.
After all of the happenings of Lauren and her accident, life was pretty busy. Making preperations for our Yuli English camp... and then watching them smoothly play out before our eyes in what seemed like symphony-like precision. But there was one thing, we were not the conductor. The conductor of the camp was our Lord, Savior and Friend... Jesus Christ. It could not have run as well as it did unless He was dwelling among the children and TA's (teacher's assistants) and guiding our each and every word. Relationships were built with the kids that most of us had not built with our regular school kids in a semester. The Lord opened up each one of these kids heart with a willingness to learn English. Every day we were able to share a verse with the kids pertaining to the lesson. We taught them a song which we sung before every meal and played it very quietly while we ate our meals. By the end of the week you could hear the kids singing the words. This is a song that we had learned in Chinese class many months ago. Its a song that is in both English and Chinese. Its says,

"Thank You Lord for this great morning!
Thank You Lord for this new day!
Thank You Lord for you are simply awesome!
Thank You Lord for you are great!"

It was very encouraging to hear the kids singing this as the week progressed. The Lord was really at work among the camp. One of the key points in the weeks was on Thursday night when we had our Goodbye party with the kids. First, we played some games and just spent some time with the kids. But then, we had our friend Michelle come and share about Jon E. who was here in Yuli last year and ended up dieing here. But, she was able to share about his love for God, children, teaching, and Taiwan. And then we had asked Lauren to share what the Lord had been doing in her life. It never crossed my mind until she mentioned it in her testimony that it had been a week since her accident... the Lord showed me through that that He is the one that is all powerful and He is the one who heals. Alas, we had to say goodbye... but for me, that was not the end of camps. The next day I was on a train headed to Taoyuan. I had volunteered to do another English camp there. This camp did not take as much preparation. The Lord put me with a really good team and working with another really great teacher. I thank that Lord so much for Wes. I met him when I took my TESOL course before I came to Taiwan. He is the person that is basically in charge of us all. But the last 2 days of camp I got sick. And Wes let me rest and took over the full brunt of the class. But even still, I was able to build relationships with my kids. This camp was over after a short week. It was then off to Hong Kong for a way to short trip. We have to leave the country every 6 months because our visa's cannot be renewed unless we leave. In Hong Kong I was able to see some of my friends that I had met over the summer at TESOL. It was very good to see all of them. After our 3 day trip to Hong Kong, it was time to head back to good 'ole Taiwan...

I began to write this blog post many weeks ago... and have today come back to finish it. The Lord has ceased to amaze me with His endless power, might, and Love for His people. As much as the Lord is at work in the hearts of the people here in Taiwan... I think that He is even more so at work in my heart and mind. Before coming to Taiwan, I thought that I would be the one ministering to other... not being ministered to by my Heavenly Father. There have been time since I have been here where things have been going along smooth... I was following alongside with the one who loves me more than anything... but then there was also the times where I started to stray off onto my own path. I must admit to you, that though I am here serving the Lord, I have strayed away from the pasture. The Lord has really shown this to me the last couple weeks. But the Lord is a good shepherd, He takes care of His sheep. I am continually having to remind myself of my purpose of being here. It is not so that Austin can go and do what I want to do. It is so that Austin and shine forth the love of our Almighty God. There are 2 things that we, as man, were created to do. Glorify God, and enjoy Him forever. That's it. Not glorify Austin and the things that my flesh want to do. But to simply Glorify God. It is so hard to just glory in the Lord. We can say until we are blue in the face that we glory in the Lord... but do we really? Do we enjoy Him? Do we like to go to Him and just talk... about whatever. Like what annoys you, the day, the slow driver in front of you, or whatever is on your mind. God should be like our best friend... but we often treat Him like that family member that you will maybe get a Christmas card from and see them occasionally here and there. God wants more than that from us... He wants to be our best friend... He wants to be our longing... He wants to be our love. Is the Lord all of these things to me? Absolutely not! But, I will, with the grace of God, work on this until my last breath of this world.
Just as life is full of ups and downs, highs and lows, and twists and turns... so is our Christan walk. But out of anything, this should be the one thing that stays constant. I feel that the Lord is calling me to come back to Taiwan for another year. But much like last year, I am going to leave where the Lord would have me to go in His hands. He will send me where He wants me to be. And, in the end. I want to be able to grow where the Lord sends me... and not have to have total control over my future... but leave it in the hands of the Lord.

"Trust in the Lord with all your hear,
and lean not on your own understandings.
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
and He will direct your path."


You might think that the title of the blog is really random. But its not. The Lord gave me a verse a couple weeks ago that just makes me marvel at how much love that He has... especially for me.

"Nay, in all theses things we are more than conquerors through Him that loved us. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Jesus Christ our Lord."
Romans 8:37-39

The Lord is working in Taiwan... but not just in the lives of the Taiwanese... but in mine. Pray for me as I continue to follow the Lord's leading in my life...


No comments: